



**EXECUTIVE
BOARD
MEETING**

**ASSOCIATED
STUDENTS OF
CLAREMONT MCKENNA COLLEGE**

ASSOCIATED STUDENTS OF CLAREMONT MCKENNA COLLEGE

EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING

October 23, 2022

Officer	Position	Present/Absent
Josh Nagra	President	Present
Zane Yamamoto	Executive Vice President	Present
Kaitlyn Hohl	Chief Ethics and Procedural Officer	Present
Chris LaRovere	Vice President of Student Activities	Present
Sam Bogen	Vice President of Campus Organizations	Present
Desmond Mantle	Chief Financial Officer	Present
Nisha Singh	D&I Chair	Present
Maeve Conte	Mental Health and Wellness Liaison	Present
Peyton Ogasawara	Comptroller	Present
Nicole Cepeda	Chief Operating Officer	Present
Tori Williams	Director of Event Operations	Present
Ryu Nakase	Class of 2026 President	Present
Giovanni Pierre	Class of 2025 President	Present
Wolfgang Hutton	Class of 2024 President	Present
Amari Huang	Class of 2023 President	Present
Kirby Kimball	Dormitory Affairs Chair	Present
Peter Dien	Presidential Advisor on Divestment	Present
Sarai Ortega	D&I	Absent



Senate Chairs Attendance

Senate Officer	Position	Present/Absent
Meg Birenbaum	AAA Committee Chair	Absent
Nicole Jonassen	Student Life Committee Chair	Absent
Aara Nanavaty	Academic Affairs Chair	Absent
Haven Qin	Community Service Chair	Absent
Nathaniel Braswell	RA Liaison	Present

Agenda

1. Welcome
2. Approve the previous week's minutes
3. Updates
4. Monte Carlo Debriefing
5. ASCMC Retreat Update
6. Art Showcase
7. GE Student Engagement
8. Open Forum

I. Welcome

Call the meeting to order at 7:0 pm Pacific Time.

II. Approval of Minutes:

Motion to approve the minutes: Sam

Seconded: Gio

Minutes have been approved.

III. Executive Officer Updates

Josh: Does anyone have any updates?

President: Josh Nagra	
------------------------------	--



EVP: Zane Yamamoto	
CEPO: Kaitlyn Hohl	
VPSA: Chris LaRovere	
CFO: Desmond Mantle	
D&I: Nisha Singh	
VPCO: Sam Bogen	
Comptroller: Peyton Ogasawara	
COO: Nicole Cepeda	
DEO: Tori Williams	
Class of 2024 President: Wolfgang Hutton	
Class of 2023 President : Amari Huang	
Class of 2022 President: Sobechukwu Uwajeh	
Class of 2025 President: Gio Pierre	
Mental Health and Wellness Liaison: Maeve Conte	
DAC Chair: Kirby Kimball	
Presidential Advisor on Divestment: Peter Dien	
AAA Committee Chair: Meg Birenbaum	
Student Life Committee Chair: Nicole Jonassen	



Academic Affairs Chair: Aara Nanavaty	
Community Service Chair: Haven Qin	
RA Liaison: Nathaniel Braswell	

IV. Monte Carlo Debrief

Chris: The event went well while it... happened. some hitches at the beginning but exec + events got the ball rolling and did what we could do to get the event going. The party got shut down an hour early for understandable reasons. there was a lot of disrespect towards cmc students from other schools and in general towards events team and staff and security. we are looking to see how we can fix this moving forward. there were disrespectful words and physical alterations with campus security

Tori: how do we let other schools know (and cmcers as well, but other schools see it as a free pass to do whatever) how to establish a better party culture

chris: this pattern isnt consistent with 1c parties, mainly when other students are here

amari: was the party shut down because of transports or disrespect?

nathaniel: we couldnt identify who the students were who were being transported (due to lack of id/being locked out of phone), plus there were issues with people getting into the event when they shouldnt have (non 5c students were seen in). there were also intoxication issues. definitely a combination of factors that made DT pull the plug.

Chris: all valid reasons.

Nisha: i heard it was because there were 10-15 transports between a short period of time. maybe ascmc/class presidents can do something– alcohol awareness is only during first year orientation and never again. maybe something in the party inform? alcohol awareness should be something that is continued, not sure if its a first year exclusive problem

Nathaniel: one student saw his friend need a medical evaluation and later also needed one himself– there is a culture issue

Kirby: Monte is an issue because people are pregaming so far in advance. drinking continuously in advance, plus it being cold (and rainy), there were a lot of bad circumstances leading up to it

Ryu: do we know trends with who/grade/school were transported?

Nathaniel: there were 5 transports with one being a cocaine overdose.

Desmond: do we know grade breakdown?



Nathaniel: no seniors, i'm not sure beyond that.

Desmond: i think it can be culture problems (ie. under/upperclassmen differences)

Sam: i dont think its a montecarlo problem. last year there were no transports.

Amari: it was 1c last year.

Sam: it makes me wonder if it was weather (people werent all together for the pregames and that allows for some level of control with alcohol intake and binge drinking) and that couldve played a role. theres a lot of thinking on the 5c front, but events team all things considered, you did really really well last night.

Nisha: what is the amnesty policy with 5cers?

Sam: depends.

Nisha: thats important to think about as well if 5cers come in not having the same policies as we do. I think we should give reminders on drinking anyway. what are the other school policies?

Tori: in fyg training they said it was similar, but we should look into it.

Nisha: it can definitely effect it

Rowan: pomona has a limit according to their website

Desmond: mckenna was left in awful condition yesterday. havent seen that much of a mess since 100 days. that mistreatment of the space is a problem as well. between ascmc staff, public safety, public staff- people shouldnt have to clean up such a gross mess. there should be education on that front too.

Nisha: we should have party etiquette in general/general reminders. Like with pushing and shoving, etc. It can go under the large umbrella of consistent language

Zane: Nathaniel can you expand on campus safety issues?

Nathaniel: Probably ask brian- ath gates were a problem, people had pushed over the gates and gotten in. we found multiple people in the party who had medical issues who were not wristbanded.

Josh: ...positives?

Music!

Josh: lots of disrespect towards DOS as well, they were calling Crishelle racist???

Kaitlyn: Tori and I were wristbanding and were saying "what if we can't pay" and when directed to Chris, they said "fine we'll just get it."

Tori: its hard because i want to trust that people will be honest, but that is something we have to address.

Kaitlyn: i didn't think it'd be a problem, but unfortunately it was.

Josh: as for pick up of the DOS wristbands, that worked well.

Gio: the people who needed them got them. people were upset by the price. people felt bad going to DOS because they thought the price was unfair even if they were able to pay for it.

Sam: timing also wasn't great because people were told they had to pay pretty late.

Nisha: how much money was made?



Chris: around 22k in ticket sales.

Nisha: if we can try to get it to around 10 i do think that would be better. I also think the other schools should pay more.

Maribella: i'm here because of the 15 dollar discussion. I brought up how I make 15 an hour with no work study, roughly with taxes I make 13. I had to pay school fees, I have worked since I was 16 and am good with spending, and had to dip into my savings for this party. Also, some people that I spoke to said that "some people will always be upset" but I think that isn't a good angle to take because we all have different things that we have to pay. I also didn't like that we had to pay the same amount as other 5c students, because our tuition does go into these events. I think there should be more transparency, I really did like how you broke it down. I had no issue with that, and I have no issue with the charge itself, but when it comes to the other schools, I think there should be more accountability when it comes to the other schools and one way to go about that is having them pay more. We shouldn't have to deal with this disrespect.

Desmond: I would highly recommend 10 for cmcers, 20 for non 5cscers in a financial standpoint. with regard to moving forward, we had some conversations on the student fee and etc. we also need to address the alcohol money as well- having sales for alcohol money (like with pirate party), and ticketing is good for having that money in our pocket for that directly. We still need to have this conversation, and if we don't ticket, we need ad hoc alcohol ledger. We need long term solutions for this.

Kirby: would it be overstepping if we reached out to the 5c presidents and have them send out a message regarding the issues + other reminders on respect.

Josh: I wouldn't be opposed to not charging cmc students and charging 4c students.

Desmond: then that price would be pushed up.

Chris: we gave 250 tickets to each school, mudd only wanted 100, so they ended up getting extras (75 extra to scripps, 25 to pitzer, pomona stuck to 250).

Josh: i don't think there will be a decrease in demand.

Chris: they sold out in seconds/minutes.

Wolfgang: DOS knows that there is a cultural expectation that cmc is the party school and they assume that this is just something that we provide. i think it makes sense to charge them more. i do think that they will still pay. if anything, they'll start hosting

Peter: i heard of some people reselling tickets... there is definitely demand.

Nisha: i do agree that there is some degree of entitlement from the other schools, but at the same time, i don't want us to mess up our relationship with the other 5cs. by nature of hosting, i think thats good, but how did they respond to this and how do we think they'll respond to a price hike?



Chris: they weren't mad.

Josh: they don't have as extensive of an events team as we do

Nisha: i don't want to make people mad

Nathaniel: the disrespect that we faced from other 5c students (like people smoking in McKenna) is definitely an issue. it sets a bad example for cmc students because then they can assume they can get away with the same

Kimi: something i've noticed (as someone who has a lot of pomona classeS) is that people thing CMC is a wild wild west that holds evil cmc econ bros who are spawns of the devil. That translates into people treating our campus + people like trash. its there, its stupid, we need to fix cmc's reputation as well. There's a baseline disregard there for who we are.

Nisha: we need to leverage that we are the only string of 5c culture left. They need to respect our policies. How is that relationship?

Josh: its honestly fine.

Maribella: has there been a suspension of 5c parties because of bad behavior before?

Chris: Not that I know of.

Josh: beyond the losses on our campus.

Amari: i <3 cmc, our students aren't perfect. 100 days was horrible last year. it was really hard to convince them to let us do off campus events this year. i think having this attitude towards other campuses can set a bad precedent for us

Chris: i think there is a disconnect there because of the issue of "respecting your own home"

Amari: I think we should find other avenues to communicate this, while there are outliers of people acting inappropriately, most are fine. More steps of communication and education should be important (like how people didn't know who advos were). I don't think we should cut our relationships right away. "Its not sustainable for our campus, something needs to change"



Nisha: maybe in the next party inform, we start putting three to four bullets of basic things there

Ryu: I don't think canceling should be on the table at all. If anything, can we lessen the amount of tickets they get instead? I do see the financial issue.

Maribella: i don't think we should, i was just asking based on results!

Sam: parties are not the only way the 5c campus culture exists. clubs, cross registration, etc. irregardless of parties, i am confident that we can still have a 5c culture. this is not the only way to go about it.

Amari: I love helping with events, and think its important, but i dont think its productive to schedule people if they arent needed (no need for 4 people who are tabling) with one scanner.

Nisha: great party!!!!!! :-)

V. ASCMC Retreat Update

Amari: we'll be on campus, i've reached out to people who i want to have presentations, will reach out to some of you all about bonding activities.

Wolfgang: What are the presentations?

Amari: Desmond has one on money stuff, advos will give one, nisha on D&I, chris + I on events. also we'll have people start working on their transition docs.

VI. Art Showcase

Nisha: we're doing an arts showcase Nov 4th in Marks basement 7-9 before the other event. If anyone wants to help, let me know. a lot of people want to sing, people want to project video art, it should be fun!! Otherwise, also remember that not everything has to be a party and if this works out, that could be something to think about!

VII. GE Student Engagement

Nisha: We started this convo a while ago, there are students who are interested in getting involved in advocating for students having more of a say with this GE moving forward. Could there be a



subgroup? I know this overlaps with my and some other people's roles. I wanted to take the temperature on that and gauge opinions.

Josh: Zane and I had a meeting with Chodosh and he wants to come to Exec at some point. He wants to do more student engagement stuff as well.

Wolfgang: we should also get opinions on students broadly as well as interested students (different opinions will likely show up).

Nisha: this committee would be to engage students and to get all the opinions, not just the opinions of the students on the committee.

Wolfgang: do you think this would involve polling fact finding?

Nisha: yeah. I think having only a few work on it would be a disservice to us.

Chad: I think a subcommittee would be helpful. Doing demo classes could be interesting, this is something we did in my HS where we had randomly selected people go to demo classes.

Desiree: having an event similar to the orientation with the majors fair, maybe having them pitch the classes to us/whats involved, a table on the GE in general.

Gio: the GE is being worked on, so this committee would be made to help build it again.

Nisha: in my weekly email, i can put a form to get those people together. I can try to loop in some faculty (dean antecol)

VIII. Open Forum

Kirby: update on vending machine?

Josh: They're not that interested.

Kirby: :-)

Kirby: spoke with Chris spells for Tailgates, we want to market this via events (this will be next weekend on saturday and another future one)

Gio: my cabinet and i had an eventful weekend with a lot of events, with both of these events aimed towards building community, planning was hard. we cant control rain, for example. communication



was off, especially for unpaid cabinet members. for collaboration moving forward, i think having a set system could be helpful. this two day turnaround wasn't helpful.

Wolfgang: On the topic of cabinet members, we both have cabinet members who we want to give stipends to...

Desmond: talk to me

Sam: If you're supposed to be at Exec every time, PLEASE be here. This highly influences the outcome.

Amari: can everyone please fill out the 200 days support personnel form. don't make me email you directly please. That's uncomfortable. you will not have to be there for more than 2 hours. Please fill it out. It shouldn't be too difficult. next exec, expectations will be relayed.

Desmond: As Josh noted in his email, there will be a budget committee meeting on stipends. If you have extenuating circumstances, please let us know.

motion to adjourn: kirby

seconded: sam

meeting adjourned 8:03 pm